Making decisions in the modern world is difficult. How can we plan and predict the outcome of new strategies, in an era of globally disruptive events? A new illness might fundamentally change our lives and work; a single grounded ship could affect global supply chains for weeks; fighting climate change will mean fundamental changes to how the world operates.
At Silico, we believe simulation is the key, combining hard data with human knowledge and intuition, enabling foresight in the face of radical uncertainty. We're building a platform which allows people to build models of their world collaboratively, simulating possible futures and optimising for a brighter outcome.
We believe in a transparent, evidence-based approach to decision-making. We want to give people insight into their problems and help them reach reasoned conclusions, with models they can fully understand. We'd love for you to join us to help make this a reality.
Silico is VC funded at the seed stage, backed by Forward Partners and Join Capital.
We're looking for compiler engineers to join our growing team, to help us envision and build a new kind of decision platform. We're building a collaborative visual workspace and interactive compiler, in tandem with near real-time simulation execution and results visualisation.
You'll be building out our compiler toolchain, which enables us to take user descriptions of their business systems, compile them into high performance code, and execute to simulate into the future. You'll have input and scope to think about how we architect our compiler, and scale out our capability to simulate entire enterprises.
Our tech stack consists of:
- Rust for main API service, as well as compiler toolchain (compiled to WebAssembly for the browser)
- React & TypeScript frontend SPA (Next.js)
- Google Cloud Platform
- Strong experience building compilers and interpreters
- Strong experience with the profiling and optimisation of numerical code
- Experience with using concurrency or parallelism to improve numerical performance
- Comfortable programming with Rust (not necessarily professional experience)
Desirable to have experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Any of gRPC, Protobuf, GraphQL, Parquet, Arrow
- TypeScript (as our compiler toolchain necessarily also runs in a frontend environment)
Silico is a remote working company, but applicants must have the right to work and reside within the UK.
Silico is an early stage startup with big technical challenges and exciting opportunities to change how companies operate. We're mission focused, and believe the best way to accomplish big things is to give people a great place to work and the space to flourish.
As part of our early company, you'll have ample opportunity, and need, to wear multiple hats and get your hands dirty across both engineering and product concerns. We're pragmatic at heart, recognising that the right solution can range from a quick hack through to a beautifully architected masterpiece.
We want people who share our vision of a world where decisions are conceived and tested with rigour and quantitative analysis, rather than just purely gut feelings.
Perks & Benefits
- Typical £60k - £80k Salary
- Typical ~0.1% Equity through Options
- Additional allowances for WFH amenities, and professional learning/training
- Health, Life and Income insurance, as well as mental health support through Spill.
- The chance and space to solve difficult problems
- Ownership to choose approaches, and take ideas through to reality